Jesús Cristo en el Calvario 1 Antique Mexican Retablo
- 19th Century Mexican Antique Retablo of Jesús en el Calvario, or Jesus Crucified at Calvary.
- In this rare 19th century antique Mexican folk retablo, Jesus is depicted Crucified at Calvary, attended by Mary and John the Apostle (sometimes referred to as the Beloved Disciple).
- Calvary, also known as Golgotha, was, according to the Gospels, a site immediately outside Jerusalem's walls where Jesus was Crucified. Golgotha is the Greek transcription in the New Testament of an Aramaic term. The Bible translates the term to mean "place of the skull", from which the English word Calvary is derived. Golgotha is referred to in early writings as a hill resembling a skullcap located very near to a gate into Jerusalem.
- Retablo dimensions are approx. 7 inches vertical x 5 inches horizontal.
- Condition: Excellent, clean and original.