Skip to content
Black Tortoise Brass Statue
- Black Tortoise Brass Statue
- The Black Turtle (also known as Black Tortoise) is one of the Four Symbols of the Chinese constellations, and is usually depicted as a turtle entwined together with a snake.
- In East Asian mythology it is not called after either animal but is instead known as the "Black Warrior" under various local pronunciations. It is known as Xuánwǔ in Chinese, Genbu in Japanese, and Hyeonmu in Korean.
- It represents the north and the winter season.
- Taoist legend has it that Xuanwu was the prince of a Chinese ruler but was not interested in taking the throne, opting instead to leave his parents at age 16 and study Taoism. According to the legend, he eventually achieved divine status and was worshiped as a deity of the northern sky.
- Approx. 1/2" tall x 1 3/8" long
- Origin: Thailand