Skip to content
Black Spinel 6mm Faceted Rondelles
- Black Spinel 6mm Faceted Rondelles
- Bead Size 6mm
- Approx. 9" long
- Sold by the strand. Price is per ONE STRAND ONLY.
- Spinel is a family of stones, which in its pure form, is white. However, trace imperfections produce Spinel in virtually every color, the most valuable being deep red. Since these red Spinel look similar to Rubies, and are found in the same locations, it was impossible until the late 19th century to distinguish between the two when X-Ray tests proved the difference. It was found that many historical “Rubies” were later determined to actually be Spinel. The name comes from the Greek word, “spinther,” meaning “sparkling.” The folklore rumored metaphysical properties of Spinel depend on its color:
- Black Spinel may spark independence; Grey Spinel may be good for communication; Green Spinel may inhibit fear; Pink Spinel may foster love; Peach Spinel may build self-esteem; Red Spinel may increase vitality and confidence. Spinel is found in Burma, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tanzania, and Afghanistan.
- In 1912, the National Association of Jewelers, now the Jewelers of America, adopted and began promoting a modern list of birthstones. Spinel was not used as a birthstone in this list. The Jewelry Council of America, the American Gem Trade Association, and the National Association of Goldsmiths of Britain are all involved in promoting lists of birthstones.
- In July 2016, spinel was named a new birthstone for the month of August by the American Gem Trade Association and the Jewelers of America. Before then, peridot served as the August birthstone. Now both spinel and peridot will share the designation. This event and continued promotion of monthly birthstones will bring significant attention to spinel, which occurs in a variety of colors. Consumers will now have a choice beyond the yellow-green color of peridot.