Baule Mami Wata Mask, Côte d'Ivoire #432
- Baule Mami Wata Mask
- Mask with a feminine face and a very smooth expression. Magnificent representation of a Baule mask, which crest depicts a scene including Mami Wata.
- When you first meet Mami Wata. three of Her characteristics immediately stick out. First is that She is half-human and half-fish, most often, resembling a Mermaid. Second is that She possesses long, flowing hair. The third is that She can charm snakes. Now this may seem odd, considering She is a water deity, but certain snakes (like anacondas) are aquatic creatures and can be found in the waters in and around Africa.
- The Divinity, presented in the form of a Mermaid, is mastering a snake between Her hands.
- Sculpture in a single piece of wood, of marvelous quality. Very beautiful polychromy.
- Measurements: 40×22×12 cm
- Mid to Late 20th Century
- In excellent condition.
- Origin is Côte d'Ivoire