Skip to content
Lord Rahu God of Darkness Amulet
- Lord Rahu God of Darkness Amulet
- Thai people believe Lord Rahu will swallow from time to time his two brothers, the moon and the sun, and then spit them out again. It is the popular explanation for eclipses.
- In year 1997, Wat Srisa Thong in Nakhon Pathom took part in a ceremony seeking blessings from Rahu, god of darkness. The ceremony was important to Rahu followers because of the total lunar eclipse. Followers believe the eclipse was caused by Rahu’s shadow over the full moon. In year 1997, many Thai people believed that the economic crisis had been caused by Rahu, the God of Darkness.
- Rahu covers the sun and the moon with his darkness, then it becomes so dark that the people became unable even to identify their places.
- According to animist beliefs, an eclipse takes place when the angry God Rahu tries to swallow the sun. The only way to prevent disaster is to scare Rahu away with noises or placate him with offerings.
- Material: Terracotta lovingly hand gold leafed and wrapped in hand crocheted waxed cotton cord.
- Measures approx. 2" x 2" x 5/8"
- Origin is Thailand