Skip to content
Blue Medicine Buddha Pendant
- Blue Medicine Buddha Pendant
- Approx. 1 1/8" x 7/8"
- Materials: vitreous enamel on tin and set in a metal case.
- Origin is India
- Bhaiṣajyaguru, "King of Medicine Master and Lapis Lazuli Light", is the Buddha of healing and medicine in Mahāyāna Buddhism. Commonly referred to as the "Medicine Buddha", he is described as a doctor who cures dukkha (suffering) using the medicine of his teachings.
- Bhaiṣajyaguru's title was Raja (King), but later translated it as Tathāgata (Buddha). The image of Bhaiṣajyaguru "The Blue Medicine Buddha" is usually expressed in Buddha-like form holding a gallipot (a small pot made from glazed earthenware or metal, used by pharmacists to hold medicines or ointments) and possessing mystical blue skin. The devotions of Medicine Buddha, the Supreme Healer (or Sangye Menla in Tibetan) is not only a very powerful method for healing and increasing healing powers both for oneself and others, but also for overcoming the inner sickness of attachment, hatred, and ignorance. Thus to meditate on the Medicine Buddha can help decrease physical and mental illness and suffering.
- The Medicine Buddha mantra is held to be extremely powerful for healing of physical illnesses and purification of negative karma. One form of practice based on the Medicine Buddha is done when one is stricken by disease. The patient is to recite the long Medicine Buddha mantra 108 times over a glass of water. The water is now believed to be blessed by the power of the mantra and the blessing of the Medicine Buddha himself, and the patient is to drink the water. This practice is then repeated each day until the illness is cured.