Skip to content
Agni / Anyi Maternity Statue, Côte d'Ivoire #948
- Agni / Anyi Maternity Statue, Côte d'Ivoire #948
- Superb Agni Maternity Figure with a Kaolin Clay bleached patina.
- Measurements: Height, 50cm; 20" approx.
- The exceptionally detailed Mother carries a Child on Her back in the traditional fashion with head turned.
- Many details are powerful and will delight collectors and lovers of Maternity Figures.
- Worked headdress, scarifications on the face and body, undeniable sculptural mastery.
- This piece comes from the Côte d'Ivoire / Ghana border in Agni or Anyi Territory.
- A similar Figure, for example, was offered in a famous New York Auction House in 1982, (see attached photo).
- Provenance: from a very important Belgian Private Collection, many of which were auctioned in 2021 in France.
- The Custom Stand is included.
- The Anyi or Agni People (also known as Ton or Kotoko) Kwa-speaking sub-group of Akan people live in Côte d'Ivoire mainly, but also have smaller populations in Ghana.
- The Anyi are very closely related to the Baule People of Côte d'Ivoire.
- The Agni / Anyi People attracted International Attention when they crowned Michael Jackson as a Prince of the Agni / Anyi People on a visit to the Country in 1992. He was under Stool Name -The Golden Stool (Ashanti-Twi: Sika dwa; full title, Sika Dwa Kofi "the Golden Stool born on a Friday") is the Royal and Divine Throne of Kings of the Ashanti people, and the ultimate Symbol of Power in Asante- "Amalaman Anoh" of Anyi Krindjabo Kingdom.
- The town of Sanwi mourned Jackson on his death on 25 June and gave him Ceremonial Burial of a Prince in Abstantia. Rev Jesse Jackson, American Civil Rights Activist, has been installed as Michael Jackson's Successor.
- Reverend Jesse Jackson was recently installed as replacement to Prince Michael Jackson by the Agni / Anyi people in Krindjabo Royal Village, eleven (11) kilometers from Aboisso in southeastern Côte d'Ivoire amidst pomp and pageantry. He first made Blessings for the Repose of the Soul of Michael Jackson. "I pray for the musical legacy of Michael Jackson. May his Soul rest in peace. I belong to the same family" said the Rev. Jesse Jackson.