Fresh Water Pearl and Onyx Bracelet with Gold Plate Trigger Clasp
- Fresh Water Pearl, Faceted Onyx and Sterling and Gold Plated Multi-Strand Chain Bracelet with Gold Plate Trigger Clasp
- Can fit up to 8" Wrist (Adjustable)
- Pearl size approx. 6mm/ Black Onyx beads approx. 3.5mm
- Handcrafted at Beads of Paradise NYC
- The name comes from the Greek word onyx which means nail of a finger or claw. Onyx is a Chalcedony quartz that is mined in Brazil, India, California and Uruguay. Onyx is the Mystical birthstone for the month of December. It is also the birth stone for the Zodiac sign of Leo. Ancient legends says that one day while Venus was sleeping, Eros cut her fingernails and scattered them on Earth. Because no part of a heavenly body can die, the gods turned them into stone which later became known as Onyx. Originally, almost all colors of Chalcedony from white to dark brown and black were called Onyx. Today Onyx is often prefaced with the word with black to distinguish it from other varieties of Onyx that come in white, reddish brown, brown and banded, known as Sardonyx. In contemporary stone lore, it is rumored Onyx decreases sexual desire and aids in controlling bad habits.
Pearl is the official birthstone for the month of June and is also the birthstone for the Sun Signs of Gemini and Cancer. Pearls have been used for adornment for more than 6,000 years. By 2500 B.C. there was already a substantial Pearl trade in China. The “ideal” Pearl is perfectly round and smooth, although more often they form in irregular shapes. An organic gem, Pearls are formed inside mollusks such as oysters and mussels. They are formed when an irritant such as a tiny stone or bit of sand gets inside the mollusk's shell. A lustrous substance, called nacre, is secreted around the object to protect the soft internal surface of the mollusk. As layer upon layer of nacre coats the irritant, a Pearl is formed. Light that is reflected from these overlapping layers produces a characteristic iridescent luster. This process of building a solid Pearl can take up to seven or eight years.
The most valuable Pearls are perfectly symmetrical, relatively large and naturally produced. The principal oyster beds lay in the Persian Gulf, along the coasts of India and Sri Lanka, and in the Red Sea. Chinese Pearls come mainly from freshwater rivers and ponds, whereas Japanese Pearls are found near the coast in salt water.