Skip to content
Lavastone, Onyx, White Coral, Red and Green Garnet Beads Elastic Bracelet with Silver Accents and Sterling Silver Ganesh Amulet
- Lavastone, Onyx, White Coral, Red and Green Garnet Beads Elastic Bracelet with Silver Accents and Sterling Silver Ganesh Amulet
- Bracelet approx. 6"
- Bead Size Approx. 8mm
- The name comes from the Greek word onyx which means nail of a finger or claw. Onyx is a Chalcedony quartz that is mined in Brazil, India, California and Uruguay. Onyx is the Mystical birthstone for the month of December. It is also the birth stone for the Zodiac sign of Leo. Ancient legends says that one day while Venus was sleeping, Eros cut her fingernails and scattered them on Earth. Because no part of a heavenly body can die, the gods turned them into stone which later became known as Onyx. Originally, almost all colors of Chalcedony from white to dark brown and black were called Onyx. Today Onyx is often prefaced with the word with black to distinguish it from other varieties of Onyx that come in white, reddish brown, brown and banded, known as Sardonyx. In contemporary stone lore, it is rumored Onyx decreases sexual desire and aids in controlling bad habits.
- Coral is created by millions of small organisms at the bottom of the ocean called polyps. Each polyp builds up a limestone case around itself, which remains after it dies. The casing becomes the basis for another polyp to build its home. Slowly, after thousands of years, these casings build up into what we know as a coral reef. Historically, material from these reefs were highly prized, and used to make jewelry and other ornamental objects. However, because removing coral from these reefs is bad for ocean environments, there are strict regulations against removing coral from the ocean. Most coral used today is grown in coral farms, rather than being taking from the ocean. Most precious coral is harvested in the Mediterranean Sea, especially in Sardinia. Deposits are also found in the Pacific, in Japan, Taiwan and Australia. In contemporary stone lore, Coral is rumored to stimulate emotional healing and relieves stress.
- The gemstone Garnet is the official birthstone for January and is also the stone for the Zodiac sign Aquarius. The name Garnet comes from the Latin word "granatus", which means grain, because many garnet deposits are small grains of red crystals in their host rock. Garnet refers to a group of minerals that can appear in any color.
- Some of the main Garnet types are: Rhodolite – purple; Hessonite – brown/orange; Spessartite – red; Mandarine – orange; Demantoid – light green; and Tsavorite – dark green. The highest-quality Garnets are found in Brazil, China, Kenya, Madagascar, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tanzania and the United States.
- According to traditional stone lore, red/purple Garnets are associated with love, friendship, and controlling one’s anger; green Garnets with peace and serenity; and orange Garnets with creativity.
- Handcrafted at Beads of Paradise NYC