Skip to content
Feet Of Dīpankara Buddha With Bamboo Talismanic Takrut Bead
- Feet Of Dīpankara Buddha With Bamboo Talismanic Takrut Bead
- Foot Size : Approx. 2 1/2" long x 1 1/8" wide
- Takrut Bead : 3 3/4" long x 7/16" wide
- With 18" long ( clasp to bamboo bead) cotton cord
- Milky Afghan Jade/ Bownite
- Origin is Afghanistan
- Dīpankara (Sanskrit and Pali language for the "Lamp Bearer") is one of the Buddhas of the Past. He is said to have lived on Earth one hundred thousand years ago.
One story shown in Buddhist art stupas has Gautama Buddha (also known as Shakyamuni) in a former incarnation known as Sumedha, a rich Brahmin turned hermit kneeling and laying his long black hair on the ground, in an act of piety that the Dīpankara Buddha could cross a puddle of mud without soiling his feet. The Jade Feet here are a representation of the clean and pure Feet of The Dīpankara Buddha.
The Dīpankara is rarely depicted alone; one of the Buddhas of Bamiyan, destroyed by the Taliban government in Afghanistan in 2001, was said to portray The Dīpankara Buddha.