Skip to content
Vintage Wooden Kokeshi Doll, Japan #355
- Vintage Wooden Kokeshi Doll, Japan #355
- Vintage Kokeshi dolls which are estimated to have been created in the 1960s or 1970s in Tohoku, Japan by multiple artists.
- Wood is carefully selected to have the right qualities, the round base-shape is made with a lathe before hand-tools are used to create the finished doll-shape. Lastly the doll is painted with pigments and waxed. Because of this no two dolls are alike.
- Kokeshi dolls have become an icon of Japan since they reflect Japanese aesthetic sensibilities with their simple, minimalist yet elegant design.It's a very beautiful lot of traditional Tohoku region kokeshi crafted and signed.
- There are 11 family of kokeshi (crafted in 11 different places of the Tohoku) every family uses different motifs and shape to paint and craft the kokeshi.
- This group contains different type of kokeshi (Hijiori, Toogata, Yamagata, Naruko, Zao and Tsuchiyu type)
- Signed by artist
- Measurements: approx 4 9/16" tall; 1 1/2" base diameter ; 1 1/2" head diameter