Skip to content
Skull Bead Hand Carved Cow Bone "Memento Mori" Pendant 5
- Skull Bead Hand Carved Cow Bone "Memento Mori" Pendant 5
- Bead Approx. 17mm x 13mm
- Approx. 33" long with the cotton cord
- Material: hand carved Cow Bone
- Strung on cotton cord
- Origin is Tibet
- Memento Mori (Latin: "remember that you have to die") is the medieval Latin Christian theory and practice of reflection on mortality, especially as a means of considering the "vanity of earthly life" and the "transient nature of all earthly and physical goods and pursuits". Momento Mori symbols and charms have been an important part of ascetic disciplines as a means of perfecting character by cultivating detachment, and by turning the attention towards the immortality of the soul and the afterlife, and away from the earthly physical.
- In Buddhism, Maraṇasati, a word seen in early Buddhist texts, is composed of the two words "maraṇa" and "sati". Maraṇa means 'death' and sati can mean 'remember', so the compound word would mean something like "remember death" (memento mori).