Skip to content
Niño de Atocha / Holy Infant of Atocha Retablo #170
- Niño de Atocha / Holy Infant of Atocha Retablo #170
- The Atocha Niño is one of the most popular Santos, a Christ-child Figure like the Infant of Prague. The Santo Niño de Atocha is dressed like a boy pilgrim wearing a hat and ornate cloak with the St. James shell, holding a basket with food or roses in one hand and a pilgrim's staff (to which a water gourd is fastened) in the other. The Child is said to roam the hills and valleys bringing aid and comfort to the needy, and thereby wearing out his shoes. Pilgrims to the Santo Niño chapel in Chimayo, New Mexico bring him new shoes and place them at his feet.
- Retablo dimensions are approx. 17 inches vertical x 13 inches FRAMED, and 14 inches x 10 inches UNFRAMED.
- Condition: Excellent, clean, original.
- Origin is mid to late 19th Century Mexico