Skip to content
Brian's Collection Buddha Statue Antique "Thursdays Meditating Buddha" 10
- Brian's Collection Buddha Statue Antique "Thursdays Meditating Buddha" 10
- Origin is Laos ca.1920-40 and was collected approx. 20 years ago.
- This hand carved figure displays abstract and minimalist features and form in a folk art style of carving classically known as "Laos Style".
- Material is wood with gold leaf and lacquer still intact in places.
- The figure shows signs of long term devotional use, care and age.
- Approx. 8" tall x 2 3/4" wide x 1 3/4" deep
- The Buddha is sitting in a Lotus Posture with hands resting in His lap. This position is referred to as the Meditating Posture with the Hands in Concentrating Mudra.
This is the "Thursday Buddha Image"
Certain events in the Life of The Buddha are thought to have occurred on certain days. The Buddha Images representing these events, are thus also associated with the days on which they occurred.
In Buddhist Cultures, people who are born on a certain day of the week may be most interested in a Buddha Image corresponding to that day. This would be their "lucky" or "birth" Image of Lord Buddha.