Tuareg Teraout Pendant from Niger 5
$ 185.00 $ 92.50
This product is sold out
- Tuareg Teraout Pendant from Niger 5
- These large embossed pectorals Tera (singular: Teraout) are particularly appreciated by Tuareg Hoggar-Tassili Women. They consist of an assemblage in several flat triangular plates, coated with a plate of ordinary metal, which gives them a certain thickness.
- The Teraout Pendants are mostly seen worn by Tuareg Women on their Wedding Day
- Teraout are Considered Magical Amulets, often filled with magical substances such as Koranic Text, Prayers, Magical Numbers which are hidden in the Amulet to protect its wearer.
- The origins of the Teraout are in the Tassili plateau in Algeria, but it is found in the region of Agadez up to the Hoggar.
- Teraout are symbols of Wealth and Social Status.
Teraout may be simple in design or very elaborate. All authentic old Tribal pieces have a tin sheet metal backing
- The Tuareg People inhabit a large area, covering almost all the middle and western Sahara and the north-central Sahel. They are probably descended from the ancient Libyan people of the Kingdom of the Garamantes, described by Herodotus. Tuareg People are mostly Nomads. For over two millennia, the Tuareg operated the trans-Saharan caravan trade connecting the Great Cities on the southern edge of the Sahara via Five Desert Trade Routes to the Northern Coast of Africa (Mediterranean).
- Materials: Sheet Metal and Copper
- Condition as seen in the photos. Missing multiple small pendants.
- Collected in Niger.