Skip to content
Lord Rahu God of Darkness Amulet
- Lord Rahu God of Darkness Amulet
- Measures approx. 2 1/2" x 2 3/4" x 7/8"
- Materials: hand carved cow bone by a Master Amulet Maker, adorned with Sacred Yants and Ritualistic symbols, suspended inside a custom plastic case.
- There are many variations of the Story of Phra Rahu, from Hindu, Buddhist, and Tamil legend. In Thai Buddhist Lore, Phra Rahu began as an Asura (Demon Deity) who was transformed into Phra Rahu after drinking an elixir which would render immortality. The Tale recounts that Phra Rahu stole the elixir from the Hindu Deities, but was seen by Chandra (the Moon God) and Surya (the Sun God). Chandra and Surya informed Mohini (the Female Avatar of Vishnu) who promptly chopped off the Asura’s head.
- Although, a small amount of elixir had already been sipped by the Asura before Mohini could chop off his head, so His head and upper body had already attained a state of immortality and became Phra Rahu.
- Phra Rahu takes His revenge upon Chandra and Surya by swallowing the Moon and the Sun every time He sees them, thus causing a Total Eclipse/ Darkness. He is referred to with Great Reverence in Thailand as "The Lord of Darkness".
- Phra Rahu is worshiped at many temples throughout Thailand, the most famous of which is Wat Srisathhong in Nakhon Pathom Province. Phra Rahu was formerly a Demon God who the Thais believe took the form of a serpent. In contemporary images now in Temples, He takes a more Demonic Human Form. Colored black, with only an upper body and head, He holds a golden orb to His mouth; the golden orb is said to be the Sun.
- Phra Rahu is a somewhat Fearsome Deity, who is worshiped to prevent harm coming to Him bearing gifts. He is believed to Prevent Bad Luck and sometimes to intervene in the lives of believer who feel their life is in a Bad Luck or Downward Spiral.
- Gifts usually offered to Phra Rahu include Black grapes for business success, Black liqueur for profitable investment, Black coffee to get what you wish for, Black jelly for patience, Black beans to progress, Black rice wealth and love, Black cake for rewards, Black eggs for successful dealings or favors.
- Phra Rahu's Sacred Number is 8; a powerful number believed to be the Origin of All Earthly Things.
- Handcrafted in Thailand