Skip to content
Laos Authentic Antique Spirit Locks Used Among Hmong and Miao People 3
- Spirit Locks are metal padlock shape charms worn around the neck, usually in back, by Hmong and Miao Hill Tribes in Thailand and Laos. They function as a Talisman/ Amulet to 'lock' the Soul of the wearer into their body in the case of illness, accident or spiritual depression or distress.
- Traditional Hmong believe that humans have several Souls. Sometimes these Souls can fall into conflict and may even leave the body. A person could lose a Soul if badly frightened or in times of trauma or tragedy. Outside causes might allow or even encourage a foreign spirit to enter a person's body causing illness and physical, mental and emotional distress.
- To rebalance and bring about a remedy, a Shaman would perform a Soul Calling Ceremony, casting out unwanted spirits or calling good spirits back into the patient's body. The wearer's Souls were then protected by the placement of a Spirit Lock Amulet.
- It was considered good luck to give newborn babies Spirit Locks to protect them from Evil Spirits, and these cherished amulets were sometimes worn throughout the entire life.
- Silver jewellery is highly valued wealth in Hmong tradition and Spirit Locks are usually made of High Grade Silver (95% or above).
- Size : 2 1/4" x 3 1/4"