Fresh Water Pearl, Carnelian and Amethyst Necklace with Gold Plated Clasp
This product is sold out
- Fresh Water Pearl, Carnelian & Amethyst Necklace with Gold Filled Stardust Beads and Gold Plate Clasp
- Triple Strand Knotted Necklace
- Approx. 17 inches long
- Bead sizes ranging from 4mm to 8mm
- Gold Plate over Sterling Silver Clasp
- Strung using silk bead cord
- Can be worn twisted
- Handcrafted at Beads of Paradise NYC
Pearl is the official birthstone for the month of June and is also the birthstone for the Sun Signs of Gemini and Cancer. Pearls have been used for adornment for more than 6,000 years. By 2500 B.C. there was already a substantial Pearl trade in China. The “ideal” Pearl is perfectly round and smooth, although more often they form in irregular shapes. An organic gem, Pearls are formed inside mollusks such as oysters and mussels. They are formed when an irritant such as a tiny stone or bit of sand gets inside the mollusk's shell. A lustrous substance, called nacre, is secreted around the object to protect the soft internal surface of the mollusk. As layer upon layer of nacre coats the irritant, a Pearl is formed. Light that is reflected from these overlapping layers produces a characteristic iridescent luster. This process of building a solid Pearl can take up to seven or eight years.
The most valuable Pearls are perfectly symmetrical, relatively large and naturally produced. The principal oyster beds lay in the Persian Gulf, along the coasts of India and Sri Lanka, and in the Red Sea. Chinese Pearls come mainly from freshwater rivers and ponds, whereas Japanese Pearls are found near the coast in salt water.
- Carnelian is an orange Chalcedony that comes from the Latin word, “caro,” meaning “flesh”. The distinctive red-orange color of Carnelian is a result of trace amounts of iron. Sometimes the name Sard is used to refer to the darker colors of carnelian. Carnelian is one of the birthstones listed in the ancient Arabic, Hebrew, Italian and Roman tables and is a Zodiac birthstone for the signs of Leo and Virgo. Carnelian has one of the oldest known gemstone histories. It was widely used in ancient Rome to make signet or seal rings for imprinting a seal on letters or important documents (hot wax does not stick to carnelian). Folklore suggests that Carnelian's healing properties help purify the blood, relieve menstrual cramps and back pain. It is also thought to be beneficial in the treatment of infertility and is worn to enhance passion and desire.