Malachite/Chrysocolla Earrings with Sterling Silver French Ear Wires
- Malachite/Chrysocolla Earrings with Sterling Silver French Ear Wires
- Approx. 2" drop from ear
- Bead Size Approx. 30mm x 18mm
- Chrysocolla is a blue-green mineral that contains copper. One of the interesting features of Chrysocolla is that it is often found mixed with other secondary copper minerals such as Malachite, Azurite and Turquoise or with quartz. These mixtures provide interesting patterns and textures, and also make the final product harder and more durable than pure Chrysocolla.Its name comes from Greek words – “chrysos,” for “gold,” and “kolla,” for “glue”. It is a name that the Greeks applied to minerals used for soldering gold, but the term came to be used to refer to various green copper-bearing minerals. Chrysocolla is often confused with Turquoise. It is found in Israel, Chile, England, and the United States. Traditionally in stone lore, Chrysocolla is said to alleviate fear, crystallize feelings of spiritually centered love, acceptance and tolerance toward others. Chrysocolla is also rumored as a stone of peace and tranquility. In some Native American cultures, it was believed to strengthen the body’s immune system.
- Malachite is a basic copper carbonate that is formed from copper-containing solutions near copper ore deposits. The name Malachite comes from a Greek word for “mallow-green,” because the distinct color resembles the leaves of the mallow plant. Malachite was used as a mineral pigment in green paints from antiquity until about 1800.
- It is mined notably in Russia, Israel, Afghanistan and across Africa. During the Middle Ages, Malachite was worn to protect from black magic, and is still thought to ward off evil. In contemporary stone lore, Malachite is rumored to aid in releasing guilt and lingering effects of negative experiences, and to release the negative emotions.
Handcrafted at Beads of Paradise NYC