Skip to content
"Saturday Buddha" Protected by the Naga King Miniature Amulet
- "Saturday Buddha Statue" Protected by the Naga King
- Approx. 1 1/2" tall
- The statue is a cast brass/ bronze figure.
This pose represents a time during the sixth week after The Lord Buddha Siddhartha's Enlightenment, when the Naga King Mucalinda protected the meditating Buddha against heavy rainfall by making a shelter with his multi-headed hood and lifting The Buddha above the flood waters by coiling it's body under Him.
- Naga, in Hinduism and Buddhism, is the Sanskrit word for a Deity taking the form of a great snake, specifically the multi-headed king cobra. The traditions about Nagas are common in all the Buddhist countries in Asia. In many countries, the concept of Naga has merged with local traditions of many great and wise serpents. The Buddhist Naga has the form of a great cobra, usually depicted with a single head but sometimes with many heads. The Naga which is seen sheltering The Buddha while meditating is known as Mucilanda. Mucilanda is believed to have protected The Buddha from the elements like rain and storm after He attained enlightenment. It is said that the four weeks after The Buddha began meditating under the Bodhi Tree, the Heavens darkened for seven days, a heavy rainfall started. The mighty King of the Serpents, Mucilanda, then is believed to have emerged from beneath the earth and protected The Buddha with his hood as the Buddha is considered the Source of All Protection. When the storm stopped, the Serpent King Mucilanda assumed his human form, bowed before the Buddha and returned to his palace in joy.
This is the "Saturday" Buddha Image"
- Certain events in the Life of The Buddha are thought to have occurred on certain days. The Buddha Images representing these events are also associated with the days on which they occurred.
- In Traditional Buddhism, people who are born on a certain day of the week may be most interested in a Buddha Image corresponding to that day. This would be their "lucky" or "birth" Image of Lord Buddha.
- Origin is Nepal