Skip to content
Banded Agate Heirloom "Eye" Beads 5
Heirloom Necklace designed at Beads of Paradise NYC with Banded Agate "Eye" Beads in a delicate matte finish large round shape beads, Thai brushed finish brass heishi beads and African hand hammered bicone brass bead spacers, and a Turbinella Pyrum "Sacred Shank" shell bead used as a clasping closure.
- Suleiman agates, or Solomon’s agates, are a highly revered bead throughout the Near East and Central Asia that has been shrouded in mystery for centuries. While some say the name comes from the secret location they were originally mined from, which only King Solomon knew, others say that they were once plain, unpatterned agates that only developed bands after being in the possession of the famous King himself and his fabled wisdom. They were said to impart to the possessor that same knowledge and power, as well as the ability to control djinn (genies).
- For many Tibetans, they were known as Bhaisajyaguru beads, or Medicine Buddha beads. They were prized by families and passed from generation to generation for their ability to preserve health and heal illness, and even exercise power over death in some exceptional cases.
- Bead Approx. Centerpiece 46mm x 25mm, Rounds 18mm and 14mm
- Strand Approx. 31" (Beaded Section 24")
- These beautiful natural stones originated in India and were traded through Nepal, Tibet and the Middle East.