Skip to content
Natural Baltic Amber Sliced Nugget Trade Necklace/Strand
- Authentic Natural Baltic Amber Sliced Nugget Trade Necklace ca. 1900's
- Real Amber beads of this shape and quality were treasured throughout North and West Africa and Asia as Traditional Women's Dowry Currency and Bride Wealth.
- Baltic Amber has been traded in Africa for hundreds of years and has been particularly cherished for its rich yellow orange butterscotch color.
- Amber beads weight: approx. 83 grams
- Bead size approx: graduated beads range in size from 9 - 23mm
- Measures Amber bead length approx. 23"
- In traditional cultures, Bridal Dowry included Gold, Silver, livestock and precious gems and Heirloom Beads such as Real Amber. Traditional Dowry Wealth was bestowed partly as the "Bride Price" that the Husband had paid, and partly as a gift from the Bride's own family. Often, this important Dowry Wealth is passed down from Mother to Eldest Daughter. The Dowry was the woman's own "household bank account" and her "insurance policy" in the event her husband separated, was disabled or died before she did.
- This necklace is strung on cotton cord with an African powder glass "button" clasp.