Baltic Amber Beads in "Log" Cylinder Shape 1
This product is sold out
- Large Natural Baltic Amber Beads in "Log" Cylinder Shape 1
- Beads range from 16 x 13mm - 20 x 16mm in size
- Stretch Bracelet (on rubber elastic) size approx. 8 1/4"
- Natural untreated Amber that has a cloudy or opaque “butter yellow” or "butterscotch" appearance originates from Northern Europe, where the collective name of Baltic Amber is applied. It is suggested that as much as 75% of Baltic amber has this quality of color and appearance, ranging from dense white in color through tones of yellow, tawny gold (butterscotch), cognac red-brown and black (deepest brown). For the general European taste and aesthetic, clear "sunshine" yellow Amber is regarded as superior to "cloudy" opaque Ambers. Transparent clear Amber was viewed more to resemble precious stones (Topaz, Citrine, Yellow Sapphire) that are highly valued for their clarity and gem qualities. Likewise the European aesthetic appreciated transparent Amber as more often there are clearly defined "inclusions" and materials visibly trapped inside during the Amber formation/ fossilization period; animal, vegetable, and more rarely mineral. The purveyors and merchants of Baltic Amber would usually export cloudier Ambers abroad as inferior or less desirable. When true, natural examples of this exported Amber were received in Asian destinations such as China, Nepal, Tibet and as far as Mali, West Africa, this cloudy material (with it's rich color variations and warm hues) was much preferred to clear Amber. The natural Baltic cloudy Ambers became the traditional standard of beauty and quality in these areas, and entered their cultural vernaculars as the highly valued, precious Prestige and Heirloom commodity it remains to this very day.
- The gorgeous "Trade Beads" are Baltic Amber in origin and are in the same configuration as they were found years ago in Yunnan, China.