Skip to content
Amulet Box "Gau" Ca. 1950
- Amulet Box from Nepal Ca.1950
- Age approx. Mid 20th Century
- A Prayer Box or Gau is a Buddhist Amulet container made of metal and worn as jewelry. Used as a container to hold powerful Amuletic objects, a Gau can carry a blessed object or prayer or mantra. The example here was originally purchased empty as shown here in Nepal years ago.
- German Silver or Alpacca Silver is a copper alloy with nickel and often zinc. The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc. German/ Alpacca Silver is named for its silvery appearance, but it contains no elemental silver.
- Measure Approx. 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 1"
- Country of Origin: Nepal or Northern India