Skip to content
Sapphire, Ruby and Peridot Earrings with Gold Filled French Ear Wires
- Sapphire, Ruby and Peridot Earrings with Gold Filled French Ear Wires
- Smooth Oval Blue and Faceted Oval Pink Sapphires paired with a dash of Faceted Peridot and Smooth Ruby Rondelles
- Dangles approx 1 1/4"
- Sapphire is the birthstone for those born in September and for the Zodiac, it is regarded as the stone for Taurus. Ruby and sapphire are the same material, the mineral Corundum, and the second hardest gemstone after Diamond. Red corundum is known as Ruby, while all other colors are referred to as Sapphire. While blue is the classic sapphire color, Sapphires are actually found in a wide range of colors, including yellow, pink and green. The coloring agents in blue Sapphire are iron and titanium and in violet stones, Vanadium. Small amounts of iron impurity will result in yellowish and greenish stones. Chromium will produce pinks and iron and Vanadium will produce orange tones as well. Rutile needle inclusions will result in a silky shine to the stone. If these needles are aligned in the same direction, then this causes the six-rayed star sapphire affect.Like rubies, sapphires can display a 6-point asterism called a “star.” Sapphires areconsidered one of the four Precious Stones; the Sapphire, the Emerald, the Ruby and the Diamond.
- Sapphires come from Thailand, Sri Lanka, Madagascar, Tanzania, and the Kashmir region of India. Today, Sri Lanka and Madagascar produce most of the fine sapphires on the market. Throughout history, Sapphires were gemstones of the highest level. In Folklore, the Sapphire was believed to be a talisman that would protect you against evil spirits and demons of the night. The ancients regarded star sapphires as a powerful talisman protecting travelers and seekers. In contemporary stone folklore, they are believed to enhance focus and creativity, and still to protect from evil spirits.
- Peridot is the official birthstone for the month of August and is also the stone for the Zodiac sign of Libra.Peridot is a unique stone because it only comes in one color, green, although, the shade and hue vary depending on the iron content. Peridot is also the only gemstone that is sometimes found in meteorites.Historically the volcanic island Zabargad (St. John) in the Red Sea, east of Egypt, was the most important deposit exploited for 3500 years. Today's main deposits of Peridot are in Arizona, China, Vietnam and Pakistan. Folk and stone lore rumor that Peridot may attract love and calm anger, while also soothing nerves and dispelling negative emotions.
- Hand-crafted at Beads of Paradise NYC